Sunday, January 13, 2008

Disparate Opinions


You can tell a movie has touched a nerve when both its critics and admirers feel put-upon:

"(There Will Be) Blood is the sort of movie....that inspires zealous oratory, fixation on marginalia and even pre-emptive strikes against criticism." -- Matt Zoller Seitz

"There are great films....and then there are films that send shock waves through the very landscape of cinema, that instantly stake a claim on a place in the canon. Often, such vanguard works fail to be fully understood or appreciated at the moment they first appear, as some of the initial reviews that greeted Psycho, 2001 and Bonnie and Clyde attest. There Will Be Blood belongs in their company, and I consider myself fortunate to belong to a group with the foresight to recognize it in its own moment." --Scott Foundas

I'll offer my own review of There Will Be Blood probably later this week, but for now I'll just tip my hand and say that Foundas proves that one can come across as a pompous ass and still be right.

No comments: